Gloster Javelin FAW.4 XA634
XA634, the only surviving FAW4, was delivered to the RAF on 18 May 1956. It was assigned to Airwork on a sub contract from Gloster Aircraft Company for the continuation of the Sperry Mk12 autopilot trials. She arrived at Blackbushe on 30 April 1957 and was returned on 3 January 1958. Thereafter she was used by Flight Refuelling Company to test an unsuccessful refuelling probe installation on the port wing.
Service life then began with 228 OCU at Leeming, which ended when the airframe was assigned to RAF Melksham as ground trainer 7641M.
XA634 was restored in 1988 in 228 OCU colours and displayed on the gate at RAF Leeming for many years. When repainted in 2001 the very clouded cockpit canopy was painted black. She will undergo restoration after being acquired by Jet Age Museum
Brilliant job by the guys at GJD Services of Bruntingthorpe who delivered XA634