Gloster Meteor T7 Serial WF784
Example of world's first two-seat jet trainer.
WF784 was the 19th of a batch of 89 built by Gloster and delivered to the Royal Air Force between January and September 1951.
It served in Germany between 1951 and 1954, first with 26 Squadron, then with 130 Squadron. 26 Squadron was at Wunstorf, moving to Oldenburg in November 1953. It was equipped with Sabres to June 1952, Vampire FB9s to December 1953 and Sabre F4s to July 1955. 130 Squadron re-formed at Bruggen 1 August 1953 and operated Sabre F4s to May 1956.
It’s likely, but not certain, that the T7 wore the same colours and markings as the fighters.
WF784 served with the Ferry Training Unit at Benson between 1956 and 1958 and with the College of Air Warfare/Royal Air Force Flying College at Manby and Strubby, Lincolnshire, between 1959 and 1962.
It was then transferred to No. 5 Civilian Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit before going to 5MU storage and disposal unit at RAF Kemble. It went to RAF Quedgeley for display on No. 1 site on 20 November 1965,allocated Service Task No. 7895M.
It was bought by Gloucestershire Aviation Collection/Jet Age Museum 30 May 1996 with a grant from Tewkesbury Borough Council. Stored for us temporarily at Quedgeley, it arrived at the museum on 3 March 1997 and is complete except for its two Rolls-Royce Derwent 8 engines.